Public speaking – for many it’s the final frontier. These are the voyages of the USS Garden City, representing the United Federation of Toastmasters. Her ongoing mission – to explore strange new Words of the Day. To seek out and explore strange new uses of language and new table topics. To boldly win speech contests that no man, or woman, has won before.
One of the speeches I gave last year as I worked towards my Advanced Communicator Bronze designation was the After Dinner speech, Project #5 from The Entertaining Speaker manual. My objectives were to
- Prepare an entertaining after-dinner talk on a specific theme,
- Deliver the talk using the skills developed in preceding projects.
The theme I chose for my project was the 200th anniversary of the first Toastmasters chartered in outer space. As the saying goes, one should never let the facts get in the way of a good story, and I extrapolated several “facts” for my speech from real life lessons learned from watching Star Trek.
Although my speech was a tongue in cheek look at what the expansion of Toastmasters into outer space could look like, I’ve recently come across someone who is working to make it real.
Andrew Rader is a former member of Com Dev Toastmasters. He has had a lifelong dream to go into space, and is in a competition to win a trip to space – for real. Andrew has recently ranked as #16 in Canada for two available slots and thinks he has a shot at it but needs lots of help. Andrew is looking for friends, and friends of friends, to vote, to post the link on their Facebook and ask others to help out. Every vote counts!
The link to vote is at the AXE Appolo web site.
Andrew has also appeared on the television show Canada’s Biggest Know It All. You can find the trailer on YouTube.
My duties as starship captain have kept me from giving as many speeches as I’d have liked and I’m a bit out of practice. To tell you the truth I’m a bit nervous. I remember that the way to deal with being nervous at the front of the room is to imagine the audience in their underwear. I won’t tell you which one of you I’m imagining in your underwear right now except to say “nice tatoo”. Oh, and if you get a call late at night and hear heavy breathing I’ll deny that it was me.
- Want to Grow Your Business? Get Out and Network! (Part 1) (grasshopper.com)
- Horizontal therapy (orestn.wordpress.com)
- Billionaire space entrepreneur wants vegetarian-only colony on Mars (rt.com)
- The World Changes as a Man Freefalls from Space (everydayfamily.com)
- Commercial space travel carries implications for health (phys.org)
- Could Space Travel Make Us All Better Human Beings? [Video] (geekosystem.com)
- Astronaut Tweets gorgeous photos from space (sfgate.com)
- AXE Is Actually Sending 22 Regular People To Outer Space (businessinsider.com)
- Lynx Space Academy offers you the chance to go to space, for real (pocket-lint.com)